Preparing Sports and Active Lifestyle Companies For Growth and Success
SDSI Springboard is a 20-week intensive business accelerator that helps sports and active lifestyle industry entrepreneurs create sustainable and scalable businesses through structured curriculum and professional business mentoring.
Want to refer a promising company or entrepreneur? Send us a message!
Springboard is an effective tool to help prepare you to attain the resources you need to scale, pivot, raise funding, attract strategic partners, overcome hurdles and succeed. Our rigorous vetting process combined with our business curriculum and talented pool of mentors creates a transformative program that boasts an 87% success rate. But that’s not all..
THANKS TO SPRINGBOARD SPONSOR
SPRINGBOARD CLASS 11 SCHEDULE
Monday, Feb. 12th – Deadline for applications
Tuesday, March 6th - Applicants notified if they qualify for Intake Panel
Tuesday, March 13th - Orientation for companies
Tuesday, March 20th - Intake panel
Tuesday, May 1st – Milestone Panel - 15 minute presentation #2
Tue, Jun, 12 - Milestone Panel - 15 minute presentation #3
Tue, Jul, 24 - Milestone Panel - 5 minute quick pitch and :30 second Elevator Pitch
Who Should Apply?
SDSI Springboard serves Sports and Active Lifestyle companies of all sizes, particularly those that are facing the following milestones:
• Starting a new business
• Launching a new product into the market
• Shifting their business model
• Working through a significant growth phase
• Preparing to raise capital
How does it Work?
Companies who are accepted are paired with a mentoring team which includes; a Business Advisor, Finance Mentor and Marketing Mentor. Entrepreneurs work weekly with their mentoring team, convening every six weeks for each milestone where they present their business opportunity to the SDSI Springboard panel for feedback. Mentoring occurs in stages, starting with the development of the 15-minute presentation and then creating a 5-minute Quick Pitch and :30 second Elevator Pitch.
SDSI Springboard’s Four Milestones
1. Intake Panel (15 Minute Presentation #1) – Confirms acceptance into the SDSI Springboard Program. Preliminarily accepted applicants give their 15-Minute business presentation to potential mentors, followed by 10 minutes of Q&A focused on evaluating coachability, business model viability and market opportunity.
If accepted, a mentoring team for each company will be formed including: a Business Advisor who will lead the mentoring team, a marketing domain expert, and a finance domain expert. Additional domain experts can be assigned as needed.
2. 15 Minute Presentation #2 – Springboard participants give further refined 15-Minute business presentation to Business Advisors, Domain Experts and fellow Springboard participants. Presentation is followed by 30 minutes of Q&A, panel deliberation and feedback. Additional domain experts may be assigned if needed.
3. 15 Minute Presentation #3 – Springboard participants give further refined 15-Minute business presentation to Business Advisors, Domain Experts, SDSI board members and fellow springboard participants. This is the final opportunity for feedback and fine tuning on the 15 minute presentation. Presentation is followed by 30 minutes of Q&A, panel deliberation and feedback.
4. Quick Pitch / Elevator Pitch Panel – Springboard participants give 5-Minute business presentation with slides to Business Advisors, Domain Experts and fellow Springboard participants. Presentation is followed by 10 minutes of Q&A and 10 minutes of feedback.
Who is Accepted?
The following criteria is used as a guideline to determine acceptance:
• Sales between <$500K to $10Million
• Relevance to the Sports and Active Lifestyle Industry
• Business model viability
• Product/service validity (working prototype, samples, etc.)
• Customer/market validation (significant testimonials, demonstrated sales, LOI, etc.)
• Commitment (skin in the game, etc.)
• Availability of mentors with relevant expertise
Who are Our Mentors?
SDSI Springboard mentors are executives with significant business experience from the Sports and Active Lifestyle Industry. They volunteer their time to provide their best ideas on growing and managing your business, so you can experience the kind of successes they have. See the Mentor Directory for full list of mentors and the various roles they play in the mentoring process.
Just a few examples of where our experienced executives come from:
• Active Network • Quiksilver
• Callaway Golf • Red Door Interactive
• Calvin Klein • Road Runner Sports
• Digital Operative • SKLZ,
• Freedom Meditech, Inc. • TaylorMade – adidas Golf
• GUNNAR Optiks • Tickets.com
• MacGregor Golf • Under Armour
• Marchon Eyewear • Universal Studios
• New Balance • Wabsono Inc., Hangzhou China
Having access to some of the best minds in Southern California’s SAL industry is priceless and is offered free to accepted companies as part of their SDSI membership dues. SDSI membership is $2,000 for SDSI Springboard participants and is good for one year from Intake Panel.
Just a few benefits of membership include:
• Access to nearly 50+ C-level executives on the SDSI Advisory Board
• Marketing and exposure to SDSI members and SAL industry at large
• Business introductions that lead to new partnerships and/or accelerate your growth
• Programs and events providing education, elite level networking
• Access to new technology and talent
• Advocacy on behalf of the industry
• Eligible for SDSI Springboard program consideration
Clarification on funding
SDSI Springboard is not a funding program and does not guarantee funding. SDSI Springboard is a mentoring program that prepares companies to be better positioned for success.
Disclosure and Confidentiality
The SDSI Springboard process is about your business, not your technology. We will not ask you to disclose any proprietary information about your technology or invention; however NO ONE INVOLVED IN SDSI– EITHER IN THE PREPARATION PHASE OR AT THE PANEL PRESENTATIONS – WILL SIGN A NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT. The SDSI team and volunteers have agreed to maintain the highest standards of integrity with regard to your business activities.
Become an SDSI Insider and receive a monthly update on all things SDSI: SAL companies, news, events, job openings, Springboard deadlines and more.